Choosing a pool heater for an above ground pool can be an arduous task, however finding the right one can really transform your pool experience. Pool heaters come in various styles such as Solar, Electric and Gas. The best solar pool heater models will allow you to extend your swimming season well into the spring or fall and make the entire experience far more enjoyable.
This type of pool heater works by absorbing energy from the sun into solar panels and transferring it as heat into the pool. They work fairly slowly and cost a little more than most pool heaters to install, but there are no monthly operating costs, little to no maintenance needed, and they are very environmentally friendly.
The Fafco Solar Bear Economy Heating System is a 20 ft by 4 ft solar panel that can be laid on the ground or placed at an angle facing the sun. While it may be too large for some back yards, those who have the space will find this is a great, cost effective, heating option.
Made from U.V. stabilized polyethylene, the Fafco Solar Bear is incredibly tough and will last for many years under direct sunlight.
The systems comes complete with an integral bypass valve, so you can turn them on and off as required. Also included are two 6-feet hoses and four clamps to hook the system up to your filtration system.
- Size: Large solar panel (20 x 4 feet) allows you to collect enough heat to warm even the largest above ground pools
- Design: Made from U.V. stabilized polyethylene, built to last many years
- Placement: Can be laid on the ground, or placed at angle, including on a house roof
#3 SUNHEATER 2′ X 10′ Solar Heating Universal System
The SUNHEATER 2′ X 10′ Solar Heating Universal System is a traditional solar panel collector pool heating system and utilises a long panel full of tubes where water is circulated, warmed, and sent back into your pool 10 degrees or more warmer.
The SUNHEATER is an incredibly durable pool heater that works well all-year round. However, the best feature of the SUNHEATER is the low cost, which should be affordable to just about anyone looking for a pool heater.
Like other panel-based solar pool heaters, the SUNHEATER connects to your existing pump, which circulates water through a series of tubes, where it is warmed prior to being circulated back into your pool. Simple do-it-yourself installation means you could have it up and running in no time at all.
- Size: Two 2 x 10 solar panels collect enough heat to warm your pool throughout the swimming months
- Temperature: Will increase the heat of your pool by 10 degrees Fahrenheit or more
- Installation: Can be installed on the floor or on a roof
#4 GAME 4721 SolarPRO Curve Solar Pool Heater
The GAME 4721 SolarPro comes in a unique curved shape design and utilises smart technology and engineering to heat your pool by 5 degrees Fahrenheit in just four days.
The Curve is made from a super strong blow-molded plastic frame with a clear cover that locks in heat and deflects cooling winds so that you make the most from the suns rays.
It will easily connect to above ground pools and multiple units may be joined together for even more heat. All adaptors and hoses required for assembly are included.
- Construction: Super strong blow-molded plastic with a clear cover that locks in heat
- Design: Curve design creates a maximum solar collecting area while taking up very little space
- Heat: Heats pool by 5 degrees Fahrenheit in just four days
#5 GAME 4714 SolarPRO Contour Solar Pool Heater for Intex
The GAME 4714 SolarPRO is a uniquely designed solar panel that comes in a dome shape rather than your typical flat style. This small, portable solar pool heater, makes great use of its dome design, boosting your pool temperature by 5 degrees Fahrenheit in just six days.
With an incredibly affordable price tag and simple installation, the SolarPRO Contour is arguably one of the very best solar pool heater out there for smaller Intex above ground pools (up to 10,000 gallons). You can even link two or more units together if you have a larger pool.
- Size: Incredibly small, at just 28 x 28 inches and 12.8 inches tall
- Temperature: Will increase the heat of your pool by 5 degrees Fahrenheit
- Price: Affordable price means its an option for those even on the tightest of budgets
HOW DO THE BEST SOLAR POOL HEATER MATS AND PANELS WORK?
Solar pool heaters are inexpensive and simple way of heating your above ground swimming pool. They provide you and your family with a cost-effective and environmentally-friendly way to keep your pool warm during the colder month. Water is pumped from the pool to the solar collectors where the water is warmed by the sun. The warm water is then pumped back into the swimming pool allowing you to enjoy your pool for many more months than you would typically, and in some comes, all year round. A solar pool heater includes the following parts:
- Solar Mat/Panel: The mat or panel circulates pool water to be heated by the sun. It uses the solar panel technology to maximize the power absorbed from sunlight
- Filter: Removes debris before water is pumped through the collector
- Pump: Typically your existing pool pump, circulates cold water through the filter and solar collector, the water is then heated and flows back in to the pool
- Flow Control Valve: An automatic or manual device that diverts pool water through the solar collector
The best solar pool heaters can warm your pool by as much as 10 degrees in just a few days. While cheaper options may not heat your pool by quite as much, they are still well worth the relatively small outlay. Heating your pool by just a few degrees can really change your pool experience as well as extending the months you can use your pool.